Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The First Installment

If you haven't noticed yet, I'm all about using clever titles with duel meanings.  I figured, of all the possible first things to know about me, that would probably be the most impressive.  In related news, I almost just typed "Winning!"  Damn you Charlie Sheen.

But alas, I've only just begun and already I digress.  My name is Ian, and though I have little to show for it, I am a writer.  Well, how can you be a writer if you have nothing to show for it, you may ask?  You are what you eat.  Or, you are what your heart says you are.  Either answer should suffice.  Seriously though, I've never felt that I was a very good writer, but I have always said that I've got outstanding ideas and since you can't sell ideas (maybe you can, I've never actually tried) I decided I was going to write my ideas into a book.  A Fantasy and Science Fiction Novel.  I'm 28 years old.  I have accomplished nothing of value outside of securing a position at a crappy job.  I don't want to turn 30 and have to face the second phase of my life with nothing to show for the first.

So here we are, you and I.  And this is my Blog.  This is my first Blog, in fact, so I'd like to ask for all levels of forgiveness if I'm a poor Blogger to start out.  In fact, I'm almost certain that this first Blogstallment has been a complete catastrophe to this point, but I would like to right the ship, so why don't I talk about my book.

The First Installment of the Dream Quest Series/Saga/Chronicles follows our main character, Brandon King, a teenage boy who lives in a hyper-modern, futuristic city called New Athens.  He is the cocky, self-involved captain of his school's Virtual Gaming Team who has a future filled with options and possibilities laid out before him.  Wealthy, intelligent, handsome; life is perfect for Brandon... until it happens.  The DSE, a device designed to enhance the sleep experience, seems to malfunction.  When Brandon lays down for a peaceful night of sleep, he wakes up in a world unlike any he has ever seen.  Elves and Men, War and Magic... our ego-driven teen finds himself trapped in a Land where overconfidence can get you killed. 

Is any of it real, or is it all just a broken dream?  His search for answers may only lead to more questions, but are they questions he should have been asking all along?  Follow Brandon as he journeys through the unknown to reveal a truth that will change everything.  Join him on his Dream Quest.

Yes, it got very "advertisementy" there at the end.  But you get the idea.  It's not easy to explain a plot without revealing the nifty twists and turns that make it interesting.  Well, I think it's interesting anyway.  As it stands now, I'm only about 40 pages into the novel, a Prologue and two chapters.  My ultimate goal is to have a finished product by Comic-Con in July, so I'll be making a hard push over the next few months.  As far as this Blog goes, it will be my goal to update at least once a week, perhaps with an excerpt here or there of anything I'm particularly proud of.  I'll be updating words counts, and sharing my thoughts on life as a writer who also works a full-time job.  So please, follow along.  I'll try not to be too boring, and maybe if you're a writer yourself, my lack of talent will motivate you to write something of your own. 

This is my Novel Quest. Thanks in advance for your support.


Dream Big,
Ian 

No comments:

Post a Comment